Tuesday is no ordinary day for the students, parents, faculty and staff of Morningside Elementary. December 8 marks the 80th day of the school’s 80th year. To mark this occasion, Morningside will have a PTA-sponsored breakfast for alumni and honored guests, student-led interviews of former students, teachers and administrators and a Dine-Out at D.B.A. BBQ (1190 North Highland Ave.) later in the day.
The event also will honor teachers who have worked at Morningside for several years, including 20-year veterans:
- Betty Meek, our Media Center director
- Teresa Westwood, first-grade teacher
- Cindy Nester, second-grade teacher
- Beth Burney, fifth-grade Challenge teacher
- Amy Mather, fourth-grade teacher
- Elizabeth Ashmore, kindergarten teacher
Student interviews will be part of the Morningside History Project, a 12-year effort to record and celebrate the school’s rich history. Birthday book donations to the Media Center will feature a special 80th year bookplate inside the front cover in honor of this special occasion.
Check out Talk Up APS for photos, interviews and more information on the big day.