APS announced the details of its pre-kindergarten lottery that will determine the allocation of state-funded Pre-K positions in Atlanta Public Schools. Registration for the APS Pre-kindergarten Lottery will be held from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday, April 17, at Mays High School, 3450 Benjamin E. Mays Dr., SW, and The New Schools at Carver, 55 McDonough Blvd., SE. Weeknight registrations will be held from 5 p.m.-8 p.m. on Tuesday, April 20, and Thursday, April 22, at Samuel Martin Inman Middle School, 774 Virginia Ave., NE. Another registration session will be held the following weekend from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday, April 24, at Maynard H. Jackson High School, 801 Glenwood Ave., SE.
The lottery drawing is scheduled for Friday, April 30, and will be managed by Data Systems and Games, Inc. A certified public accounting firm will validate the results, which will be posted at each pre-kindergarten site by May 7. All parents and guardians who registered for the lottery will be notified by mail.
Eligibility is for one year. To participate in the Pre-K program, a child must be 4 years of age on or before Sept. 1, 2010, and must live in an APS attendance zone or be the child of an APS employee. Transportation will be provided for children who live more than a mile from the nearest practical route from his or her zoned school.
To begin the lottery registration process, a parent or guardian must appear in person at one of the four registration sites on the dates specified, and must provide one of the following forms of identification:
- Any valid state or federal government-issued photo ID, including a free Voter ID Card issued by the county registrar’s office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS)
- A Georgia driver’s license, even if expired
- Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. government, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
- Valid U.S. passport
- Valid U.S. military photo ID
- Valid tribal photo ID
The parent/guardian MUST also bring the following documents for Pre-K staff to verify age and residency requirements:
- Child’s original certified birth certificate, passport, official medical documents, legal documents or official documents from other countries
- Proof of residence — we will accept one of the following:
electric, gas or water bill, apartment lease or house contract
- A driver’s license, voter registration card, Medicaid card, or any type of telephone bill cannot be used as proof of residency.
- If the parent/guardian does not have a utility bill, apartment lease or house contract in their name, an Affidavit of Residency must be completed. An Affidavit of Residency will be available at each Pre-K registration site.
- Parents who are legal guardians must bring a certified copy of the court order granting guardianship for the Pre-K child. Persons who do not have legal guardianship may conditionally enroll the child with the submission of the Non-parental Enrollment Affidavit. A parent or legal guardian shall return to the school within 30 calendar days to complete the enrollment process or the Pre-K child may not be allowed to enroll in a Pre-K class. A Non-Parental Enrollment Affidavit will be available at each Pre-K registration site.
The Pre-K staff will also request voluntary presentation of the child’s Social Security number/card. Parent/guardians who choose not to provide their child’s Social Security Number or card will be asked to complete a waiver form, which will be available at each registration site.
For more information, call the APS Pre-K help line at (404) 802-3638 or visit www.atlantapublicschools.us