Opened in 1883 and first named Calhoun Grammar School, then The “Opportunity School” this school was originally located at 417 Piedmont Ave. In 1947 the school name was changed to Charles Walter Hill Elementary and relocated to 386 Pine Street, N.E. in 1967. C. W. Hill, (1857 – 1944), was a student of the Atlanta Public Schools and a former teacher and principal in the district. Students featured in this photo were a part of the school’s speech class.
C.W. Hill students participated in the city’s desegregation plan through busing in 1973. Students can be seen boarding a bus at Hill, on their way to Morningside Elementary, in this photo from the Atlanta History Center.
The Atlanta Opportunity School was funded by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and a 1935 photo of women learning to sew at the school can be seen in this photo on the Atlanta History Center website.