LIVE BLOG: Board of Education Meeting March 4, 2013

Thank you for following our live blog of the January Board of Education Meeting for Atlanta Public Schools.

View today’s agenda here: http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/aps/Board.nsf/Public

REFRESH your browser often for updates.

2:12pm – Board meeting called to order

First order of business is a presentation by Ms. Sis Henry, Executive Director, Georgia School Boards Association and Dr. Mary Kay Murphy, Georgia School Boards Association District 5 Director.

Dr. Murphy is an elected official and represents the Atlanta, Fulton County and other local districts.  Dr. Murphy will discuss the role of the superintendent and school board team.

This presentation will not be a part of today’s live blog.

Chief Sands will give an update on the

After notification last Thursday, we were advised that a student walked in with a gunshot wound to the leg. Medical personnel, police and resource officers were called.  The school was placed on lockdown and student transferred to Grady Hospital.  The gunshot wound was self-inflicted and there were several witnesses including students in transition from class and a parent.  A 380 handgun was recovered from the courtyard.  We were once again fortunate to have security personnel on the scene as well as a parent witness. There were a number of students who walked past the handgun and none of them touched it.  The administration communicated with the teachers and staff during the incident and a staff debriefing was held the same day after dismissal.  Parents were notified within an hour of the incident.  A parent meeting was held the next day. 

It is critical that we review and revise district protocol in regards to emergency management.  It is important that we make students and staff aware of how they can report incidents privately and keep our lines of communication open.

Harsh-Kinnane:  I want to say thank you to Chief Sands, the security force, the entire Grady staff and everyone at APS who came to help.  It was handled remarkably by everyone involved.

Supt. Davis:  I want to thank Chief Sands and her team and the communications team for their performance during this incident.  I want to reassure parents and students that student safety remains one of our top priorities and we’ve been working to highlight some of the changes we will bring to you in the future.

2:40 Chuck Burbridge, district CFO, gives the monthly Financial Update

Burbridge: What I want to focus our attention on today is the overall spending trend is downward.  Sometimes when we talk about the individual components its hard to see that we’ve been successful in fy13.  I want to tell you that as we continue to monitor and examine spending trends for the district there is further downward pressure on that spending number.  Together with the decline in revenue and decline in expenses we are expecting to use $17M in fund balance.  Our use of fund balance could shrink as much as $10M which would bring us down into a balanced budget situation.  The budget is performing, will perform better than we expected when we started this fiscal year.

Meister:  Where are we in recapturing those 170something employees we were not able to locate earlier this year?

Burbridge:  At one point we had a difference of 300+ employees between budget and actual.  The data has taken us in several directions.  We’ve been moving to cleanse the data of duplicates between payroll, i.e. an employee that may get regular pay then a stipend and they show up twice in payroll files.  Some individuals were paid out of general funds and are not appropriately charged to special revenue funds.  Right now, while there is still a difference, I believe that difference is even lower as we move to clean things up and put people in the right places.  When we passed the budget we knew we were staffing above the budget to the tune of about 30 employees.  The difference between actual and budgeted headcounts is really not as significant as we once thought it would be.

Meister:  Was the largest difference in curriculum?

Burbridge: Greatest amount of work was done in curriculum because they have the most complex schedule of employees when it comes to payment (part time coach, stipends, etc), also most likely to have funds coming from special revenue funds.

YJohnson: I remember being told last year a few times that the data wasn’t reliable. Have we addressed the issue so that as we go into the budget season that the information you present to us in a few weeks is accurate and aligned?

Burbridge: There has been a significant amount of work on the part of many people…there is coding behind every employee and when employees move from school to school or general to special revenue, then coding has to be reviewed in c&i, HR and finance.  They are doing that by matching Kronos and Infinite Campus database.  The data is much more reliable than it once was because it is triangulated.  I am of the opinion that it will get better and I believe they have made strides and that we will have a more reliable budget.  I think FY14 will be much improved.

YJohnson: Mr. Supt. can you speak to how you feel about the numbers?

Supt. Davis:  The work to establish a line of sight of financial control will not be complete before we have to finish a budget.  We will have better insights and will be able to do better board level presentations.  I will want to point out the significant decisions that will be required by the BOE in order to balance the budget.  It’s going to take some difficult decisions to close that gap, particularly decisions with 80% personnel.  We continue to make progress to make multiple complex systems to talk to one another and its going to take a while. 

Butler-Burks:  We were going by a process where we were doing it by regional offices and I guess I’m struggling with  a few things.  I don’t think that so much of it is board and some of it is not.  I think its all board level discussions.  Mainly I’m struggling with how we’re having problems in one department and not others.  I can tell you from my collegues that I’ve talked to that this is going to be a major problem during our budget process. 

Butler Burks says that she doesn’t want to get to a point, as with last year, where the BOE is pushed against a wall due to a timeline.

Supt. Davis:  Most of our district is concentrated in one department and if you miss by one or two (at a school site) then you have a lot.  You have a responsibility for the budget, there is no doubt about that, what I would ask is at what level do you believe you have that responsibility.  I belive we have the responsibility to manage the budget and as long as we The budget…we will have a budget.  It will not be perfect in terms of line items details.  I want to say that in advance.  It is not going to be precise.

Butler-Burks:  That is going to be a major issue during the budget process.  Coming within budget is one thing, spending it is another so it is our responsibility from the bottom to the top.  As budget chair I’ve already seen some concern and I’m trying to give you advance notice… (speaks to possibly taking this up thru policy).

Supt. Davis:  I appreciate the heads up and it may be worthwhile to talk offline.  We have 50% more policies than the largest school district in the state and I’m not sure that policies are always the answer. … (says that he is open to the discussion).

3:05pm – Presentation has ended.

Committee of the Whole is beginning.  Cell phone policy has been added to the agenda based on recent events.

YJohnson: The Policy committee, at its next meeting, will discuss wrap around services.  Ms. Meister and H-Kinnane brought recent conversations to my attention that may have been missed in recent discussions about cell phone policy that may have been missed in regards to incidents such as lock-downs.

Meister:  I would like to have discussion around policy CG.  I’m fine bringing it up in new business.  It’s around placing interims.  We (Kinnane) had discussion around that over the weekend as well as substitutes.

McDaniel:  So CG as well as any other related policy work.

Butler-Burks: Whenever we put together an ad-hoc committee we usually put together a resolution.  We always do a resolution.  Just some discussion around an official resolution around the superintendent’s search committee.

McDaniel: Discussion or new business?

Butler-Burks: Discussion and action is fine.

McDaniel: We will add under discussion cell phones and the resolution, under new business a discussion on policy CG.

3:11pm – Supt. Davis presents the consent agenda items.

View the entire board agenda here: http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/aps/Board.nsf/Public

Item 2.01

Calendars for traditional and year round schools have been created following a lengthy calendar development process and the board’s decision to maintain consistency from the 2012-13 school calendars to 2013-14.  The 2013-14 calendars also include four (4) options for furlough days for all employees.

McDaniel: A reminder that this item is for the 2013-2014 calendar only.

3:24pm – Consent agenda has been approved.

Item 2.01 up for discussion

H-Kinnane:  I thought that we left the calendar workshop with…that we were going to look at a possible later start date and I think that what we’ve heard back is that the reason that can’t be considered is that we agreed that we need a 3 day or a 5 day holiday in there.  I have 2 concerns that we’ve moved along from the week long breaks due to the burden that that would provide for childcare.  But I think in a way that may have created a greater hardship because we don’t have a full week.  I also have a concern about attendance, we have such a long break…people may take the days off to fill out the week.  I have concerns about the August 5th start date, if we could make it a later start date…we’ve always received problems getting kids there on the first day if it may make sense to start on a Wednesday with open houses going on the first couple of days….

YJohnson:  I thought that you all had come up with something at that meeting (workshop)?

McDaniel:  Yes, the expectation was that the administration would look at it and make some recommendation.  They have the same recommendation and I guess will want to speak to that.

Supt. Davis:  I’m going to ask Dr. Kirijan…The start date is easy to explain.  Our view given what we asked them to do given all the furlough days that we felt that we did not want to take one more day away from them by starting the school year in mid-week.  But I don’t quite understand your other concern because I thought one of the reasons we had these discussions was to shorten the week long breaks and I was comfortable moving away from the balanced calendar is that the board had done the work to provide the support….If you could articulate and point to where you’re talking about on the calendar.

Kinnae:  It’s in October where we have a Thursday, Friday and Monday off.

Kirijan: Oct. 10th is a teacher workday, the Friday and Monday following that are days off for students and teachers.

Kinnae: And the other is in February

Kirijan:  Yes, that break is for students and teachers

Kinnane:  I think that its important to provide a break that is dedicated to teachers.  I’m all for supporting teachers and making their lives as easy as we can, but …. (talks about the 3 days off not being critical).

Discussion around taking days out of the calendar/shifting days.

Supt. Davis:  What we have for the teachers is an uninterrupted 5 days of planning.  That was seen as something that we wanted to focus on. An intense 5 days of planning. 

Kinnane:  I would like to ask other board members….several of us talked at the meeting about looking at the later date.

McDaniel:  Would anyone like to weigh in?

Meister: Thursday and Friday usually ends up being with teachers getting their (inaudible) together and a meet and greet… (rest is inaudible).

Butler-Burks:  The 10th could be moved to the 6th or is there something in October where there is a need for a teacher workday?  Is October sacred to a teacher workday?

Kirijan:  It’s the midpoint of the semester and provides a workday to teachers.

Butler-Burks: I was asking if it could come up in August… (inaudible)

Kinnane:  We could go to 89 (days) and 91.  Is there anything about there being a greater number of days?

Kirijan: No, but keep in mind the calendar is built around testing days, holidays…there is a lot put into the building of the calendar.  Anything you recommend we would need to go back and make sure that nothing interferred with the calendar.

Kinnane: Well we can’t delay the calendar.  I was going to amend this…so I don’t know if anybody would be in agreement would that, but if you’re saying those days would need to be checked…

Kirijan:  If you’re saying that a day needs to be taken out in October and a day in February then that would keep it aligned. 

More discussion on what it means to teachers to take days away, add, etc.

Kirijan:  What we heard from Ms. Waldon and C&I was that the 5 days prior to school was something that was needed and starting on Monday the 5th and having that as your whole week of school was a preferred calendar.

Rebecca Kaye from Organizational Advancement gives the start dates for other metro counties.  Counties starting on August 12th have all cut instructional days for students.

Kirijan:  We have 4 school districts starting on the 5th.  It’s more than DeKalb.

Davis:  What we’re talking about is starting school 2 days later and taking 2 days away from teachers. The fact that they are starting later does not address the issue of fatigue during the year and we’re trying to build in days that we think are responsive for the workforce. 

Kinanne:  Having been a teacher…. (inaudible)

Butler Burks:  I’m looking at the Fulton County Calendar and they start on the 12th and are doing 177 days vs 180.  By starting a couple of days later in August does that help with teacher fatigue….where I’ve seen it happen mostly is that February block.

Kirijan:  I would like to remind you that in September, we have scheduled a furlough day.  September 2nd. 

Butler Burks: But its a holiday, Labor Day, they would be off the 2nd anyway because its a holiday.

McDaniel will delay the vote until Ms. Johnson returns back to the room.  We’ve pulled personnel gains and loss items, lets have this discussion.

Meister: I would like to get some clarity around the three interim academy leaders that are on this report to start today.  I would like some information around how…it seems like we are living in a world of interims for so many reasons.

Mr. Gray, of HR, now speaking.

Gray: I will take full responsibility for that.  We attempted to bring them before you once we reviewed the policy and correct that oversight (time frame for bringing interims before the BOE). Interims are placed for a period of time, not defined as a perm position.

Meister:  I’ve had a lot of parent concerns because a lot of these interims were teachers.  One of these interims also has the role of athletic directors.  After 4 months is that not enough time, can we not get teachers in those classrooms.  Our previous interims…there seems to be some inequity for holding positions for some not others. We didn’t place other people that took interim positions with temp contracts, it seems like we’ve changed the playing field for those who stepped up to take the place as interims.

Gray:  I agree.  Yes , this is new.  Didn’t see why we couldn’t accommodate the principal.  I don’t see that this presents a legal issue.  We are simply trying to be responsible to principals who have needs that we can respond to.

Meister:  My last point, is the reason that these interims did  not get replaced with full time teachers is that we’re carrying a heavy load of academy leaders?

Gray:  I don’t believe that is the case.  My understanding is that we simply did not place those people before the board and thus their positions continued to be interim, subsequently their positions were filled with substitute teachers.

Meister:  The transition team that we have in place that goes into schools, is that not their job to go into schools until permanent people are placed?  What is their role?

Waldon:  Our goal was to leave those people in place until the principal requested such.  They are continuing their responsibilities.

Butler Burks: There are a lot of effective dates missing which makes this report seem….I mean we have effective dates on some things and not others.  One other I had, if I speak too much about it, it’s not about the person, it’s about the position (says that it may be better for executive session).

Muhammad: I want some clarification on some these positions- family support specialist and family engagement manager.

McDaniel: We can discuss these items further in executive session, and vote on this in our evening session.

Waldon: The family support specialist, this position is a part of the work that goes into our student support services. The other is a part of our Title I funded positions.

McDaniel: We are going to return to the calendar issue.

*The motion carries with a unanimous vote.

Y. Johnson: Cell phone policy…it is a fairly complex issue where we were at one point in terms of high school students, middle schoolers, and elementary, and trying to determine what is the best way parents can have access to their students during emergency situations and still maintain discipline and testing integrity in the schools. APS has had a couple of recent incidents that brought to our attention the need of cell phones during a lockdown situation. This is an opportunity for the board to let us know what we need to evaluate when we look at the policy for the last time. Just have this opportunity to tell us what you might want to see based on what has happened over the last month or so, so that we can discuss it in the next policy committee meeting.

Meister: Will it be inevitable that we will have cell phones and iPads in the classroom tied into curriculum and instruction? Should we make this a bigger discussion surrounding electronic devices?

Davis: We do envision a future where your personal digital devices will be a part of the learning. It is going in a direction of more devices.

Harsch-Kinnane: Many parents are telling their kids to carry a cell phone to school for after school safety reasons. We originally said it would be good practice to roll this out at the beginning of the school year. My concern, in light of recent events, is that we still have the safety issue of parents wanting to have a cell phone somewhere on their person when the  school day ends right now. This timing issue is critical. I don’t feel like it is right for us to be unresponsive to this request for safety reasons.

McDaniel: I think Meister brings up a good point about the education component of cell phones.

Harsch-Kinnane: As our policy exists right now, during an emergency situation a student can be directed to use their cell phone by APS personnel.

Kirijan: We are proposing that the terminilogy appear in the policy also.

McDaniel: It’s a regulation now, but making that terminology policy would be the recommendation of the staff, correct?

Kirijan: Correct.

McDaniel: What I’d like to do is address the concerns of the policy work and determine what we need to do between now and the beginning of the next school year, because I don’t think we need to delay this.

Davis: I would always question against moving too quickly on policy, but we can make the middle school principals aware that this is the way the policy is going.

McDaniel: He would basically let the middle school principals know we are moving to a cell phone policy in middle schools consistent with the policy for high schools.

Harsch- Kinnane: My only concern is do we have the right to ask our principals to do something that the current policy doesn’t regulate?

Davis: We can ask them in writing to do this.

Y. Johnson: Our change actually is for all students, so theoretically any communication surrounding this would be to all principals.

Muhammed: What happens with the 50 dollar fine enforced after a student’s cell phone is confiscated 3 times?

Kirijan: Fines that are collected go into the school’s general fund.

Mesiter: I take issue with telling principals they can do something that is currently against board policy.

Harsch- Kinnane: There are going to have deal with this issue now in the schools.

Butler-Burks: Since this is under discussion and action, is there a vote we can take, based on recent emergency situations, that we have approved this temporarily until the changes in the policy come forward?

Kirijan: We have discussed this policy change with staff, and one of the reasons we didn’t want to implement this policy at this time of the year is because it is close to testing time.

Prescott: The superintendent can make an adjustment to the regulation regarding middle and elementary schools, which may be a quicker way to do this until a revised policy is set in place.

McDaniel: Are we fine with giving that directive to the superintendent? …Ok, we will now move on.

Butler-Burks: In terms of the superintendent search committee, can we put together a resolution that lists the members, responsibilities, and milestones?

McDaniel: Yes.

*Discussion surrounding Policy CG and following policy in terms of personnel and interim appointments.

Davis: Our problem here with policy is that we depend upon memory to implement every policy, and when someone is new they might not have that memory. You are supposed to follow policy, but they are not embedded in a way that we could hold people accountable. We don’t have a compliance function here. These are huge managerial systems tasks, not willfull violation of policy.

Butler-Burks: There must be some policy around general violation of policy.

Davis: We are responsible for knowing all of the policies, but as that number gets larger, what assurances do we have that people do know those policies? They are being violated, and when they are violated we stop it.

Y. Johnson: One of the questions would be, is there some effort underway to embed those policies? In order to hold anyone accountable you have to have specific regulations.

Davis: These will be embedded into our personnel systems.

Kirijan: You’ve accepted the GSBA policy standards. This summer we have a work review that will help put those policy standards in place to make policies easier to understand and follow. We will also put a policy training program together and create a regular schedule for policy review. There needs to be much more organization and alignment around this. We also need to look at our policy managment system, to improve that as well.

McDaniel: Now that we have had this conversation, what specifically would you like to see?

Meister: It sounds like we don’t have the capability to implement or sanction policies that are violated.

McDaniel: So it seems like what we are saying is, from a policy perspective, it isn’t a policy problem, but a systems policy.

Davis: In the interim when people see policies being violated, they should point them out. We shouldn’t violate policies.

The board recognizes social workers at APS.

The board goes to Executive Session at 5:30 p.m.

7:15 – The Community Meeting will now begin.

Community Member:  I am asking that you reconsider something you did last year where you added Collier Heights to Usher Elementary School.  Collier Heights was originally a white community named after George Washington Collier who were white, racists and segregationists.  When we first moved to Collier Heights we had house burnings, cross burnings, lynchings…we couldn’t even go to the school there.  To put that type of name with Ms. Usher seems to be foolish and inappropriate.  I want to really think about it and do the research.  Find out who GWCollier really was and Ms. Usher see if they should go together.

Community Member: I was very encouraged  that you (McDaniel) was open to the idea of the task force for charters.  We want to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem.  I believe we are a strong community that can help you, whether its getting our community to help raise the millage rate or others, utilize me and other folks like that.  We hope there is some room for innovation.

Community Member:  I too really want to thank you for coming out.  It meant a lot to the community to see that we do matter.  I want to make sure that you understand how this funding issue for charter schools is affecting us.  We have to balance our budget that starts off smaller, if we don’t get some solution and relief we will have to make extremely painful cuts.  We need to have our funding restored.  It is not an exaggeration to say we will be gone if we don’t get some funding relief.  I know the charters are not everybody and only represent 10%, but out of the top 12 elementary schools, 5 are charters.  We want to help you as part of that task force to come up with solutions.

Community Member & Washington Alumni:  (Speaks about the small school concept) The small schools concept is failing us and causing divisiveness.  Please go back and revisit this.  As an alumni we want to support you, we support anything that is going on at our school.  Thank you Mr. Amos for supporting us.  One principal, one school.

Community Member: I had to follow whether my children were going to follow the school rule or break it (regarding cell phones) and we chose to follow it in middle school.  Keep in mind that there is cheating going on in High Schools with cell phones by students who are competing for academic placement and (status) in the school.  [Speaker continues to talk about the need for more social workers in APS schools to answer all needs of all students]

Parent: The concern we have (regarding guns in schools) are regarding maintaining the gun free zones, there are two pieces of legislation now that want to arm teachers, employees, etc.  We have done a lot of research and we have sent a note to Mr. Davis talking about how the gun free zone has improved safety and we would like your support in fighting those two pieces of legislation.  We support School Resource Officers (SRO’s). 

Community Member: I am here to share an update on DH Stanton Elementary and the effort the community has made to keep Stanton rising.  On May 8th 8:30-11:30am we will have leadership day and it will be an opportunity for the community to see the impact of our leadership program on the school as a whole.  We’ve worked closely with GAState, the Casey Foundation and others to really create a learning complex on the DH Stanton campus.

Community Member:  I’m here this evening to talk about the enrollment issue at DH Stanton.  We’ve been working hard to make sure DH Stanton stays open and is prospering.  I have a map that shows a highlighted area that shows 8.9% and we are advocating for an open enrollment policy and new zoning to allow kids to come to DH Stanton.  [Speaker continues to go thru graph and handout for BOE]  What that says is that most of the folks that live in Grant Park are doing well and have a higher income but there are some who are not graduating from high school.  We are trying to get a more level playing field.

Parent:  I am a parent volunteer at Young everyday.  The cleaning crew at night is deplorable.  There is never enough tissue or soap in the restroom and the building overall is filthy.  As a proud alumni of Washington High School, I would like to talk about one school and one principal for Washington High.  As an alum, I am still and will always be interested in what is happening at Washington.  The communication to stakeholders is awful.  I don’t understand why we have 6 Principals and AP’s with only 800 students.  The money could be better used somewhere else.

Parent:  I am really concerned about the safety in our school system.  The teachers are now the police and the teacher.  You claim that you don’t have enough money to put a police presence in the school but we elected you all to keep our kids safe and give them a decent education.  Now banning cell phones – how do you expect kids to call 911 when their life is in jeopardy? If you are not going to do the right thing, then resign.

Community Member:  It pleases to let me know that the notice for Booker T. Washington HS will not be on the agenda gor this board member, however it displeases me to know how parents were notified.  Parents and students are clueless about the 2 hearings that were held as well as the Common Core Curriculum.  Students are dropping out of school causing low enrollment which could lead to Washington closing in 2 years.  How will APS communicate with parents in the future about public hearings? Why isn’t there enough money to purchase stamps?

Parent of 15 year old Senior at Jackson H.S.:  Ronald is being punished because he attended Tech High, a closed school.  Now he attends Jackson High School.  Ronald has been in the district for 7 years.  He transferred at no fault of his own.  [Mother explains that son will not be able to be named valedictorian because APS policy states that you must be a student at the school for 2 years in order to be named valedictorian] 

Parent (BEST Academy): We as parents and as students have been advocating for improvement at BEST HS.  They are keeping this school in a zone of problem students.  BEST has a low graduation rate right now and we’ve been trying to get a hold of all the deputy’s, superintendents, principals….the first year the boys were promised certain things in order to continue on and graduate from BEST.  There is no brotherhood, constant fighting…I don’t know why you are not looking into BEST Academy.  It is so sad that we as a black community, an urban community, that we have to go thru this.  We’ve contacted you about BEST and we’ve got no answer from Mr. Davis or Ms. Waldon. We’ve been trying to get this school on track.  125 boys failed summer school.  We will graduate 20 boys at this rate. 

Parent (Centennial Place): We are worried about the calendar – planning has not occurred for the year round calendar.  We’ve rallied support for the balanced calendar and we understand that we will have a year round and traditional calendar.  If that is the case we choose to accept the devil we know which is the year round calendar.  We ask that the district start much earlier to address the calendar next year.  Second, the year round calendar is only a piece of the puzzle to our success.  Although it is not on the agenda tonight we ask for support on the class proposal for Centennial Place and that it be brought to vote soon.

Community Member:  I would like to urge each board member to speak clearly and directly into the microphone so that those of us can hear you clearly in the audience.  On to my second topic, this is in regard to discussion of the cell phone policy.  I would ask that the board remain sensitive to the importance of the cell phone policy.  If no one else, a child should be able to contact his/her parent for support.

Community Member:  [Speaker speaks directly about firing an employee, i.e. discusses a personnel matter, thus this won’t be blogged]

Parent (BEST Academy) We have an assistant principal that has acted in dual roles as our academy leader, poor teachers, one full year without a science teacher where 60% of our students failed the end of course test, we went one semester without an ELA instructor or math instructor.  We need to identify a principal for our school.  We need our principal now.  There is a resolution that we would like to address.  Children don’t fail, adults do.  We are asking the district to scrutinize the process.

Parent:  I want to say I’m very pleased in what I have learned has happened, that Carver has been saved from the merger that would have been devastating.  I applaud Dr. Battle and all the people that work under her.  All of our Carver School of the Arts were replaced which was great.  I wish we had AP.  When my son who is now a junior applied to Carver School of the Arts he had to audition.  He’s now a candidate for the Gov.’s honors program in music.  When my younger son came to CSOA, there was no audition and I respectfully ask for the return of auditions.  I see no reason why a school of the arts fails to have an audition process.

8:00 – Community Meeting has ended.  Legislative meeting will begin shortly.  Committee of the Whole meeting will now continue.

Item 2.13 Authorization to Revise Policy BBE School Attorney has been waived for first reading.

School calendar discussion continues.

YJohnson:  I understand that that is the case for now, but do we anticipate always maintaining year round for those (3) schools?

Davis:  We have been asked to come back with use for 2014-2015. If both calendars are maintained at a minimum we will try to start both calendars as close to one another as possible.  We will be looking at all of that over the next 4 months. 

McDaniel asks if Kinnane’s amendment included the recommendation of year round schools/calendars.

Kinnane: It did not include the YR schools.

Motion on the floor by Kinnane to keep the YR schools on their current YR calendar.

Passes.

Dr. Grant explains that a seat became vacant on the ethics commission and Mr. David Ross, an attorney and active member of the E.Rivers community was vetted, trained and accepted him as a member of the commission.  Bringing him to the board is a process we go through with all members of this commission seeing as it was this board that created this committee.

8:10pm Board moves on legal matters and hears from  Bill Prescott, APS General Counsel.

8:12 Committee of the Whole meeting is adjourned.

~This ends our live blog for tonight. The legislative meeting can be viewed beginning tomorrow night on Comcast Channel 22.~

3 thoughts on “LIVE BLOG: Board of Education Meeting March 4, 2013

Add yours

  1. Did they talk about the possible change in school start times for next year? Specifically that elementary schools would possibly begin at 7:45am?

  2. You all really need to look into the mindset of the Early College Leaders/Teachers…talk about segregation…if you are not in Early College at Washington you are labeled as “lil 5 points” or “them kids”…The teachers have the audacity to say that only EC students have the capability of going to college…segregation in a school that is a Legacy…

  3. Why isn’t Carver apart of the merger any more? If you are going to merge schools to learning academies merge all including Early College, no child should feel left out. If that is the case, let every one go to early college. Why not? Why is it that you have to interview to early college. So as a child, I have to interview to get an education…really who does that…only APS…which I money to send my kids to private school….

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: