LIVE BLOG: Board of Education Budget Commission Meeting, May 29, 2013

Thank you for joining today’s live blog.  Please refresh regularly for updates.

Agenda Items:

Roll Call
Review Budget Calendar
Review of Proposed Budget
Refer Budget to Board with Recommendation
Adjourn

3:15pm: Meeting is called to order, agenda approved.

BOE and school leaders are discussing revised calendar.  Certain dates must be met to meet obligations to the state of Georgia.

PROPOSED CALENDAR:

5/28 Send notice to paper advertising availability of budget for public review (will run in paper tomorrow).

5/29  Budget Commission Meeting and APS Board Meeting

6/3  Advertise millage and digest

6/4  Community meeting

6/5  Community meeting

6/6  Public hearing and APS Board meeting (tentative adoption of budget)

6/10 Advertise millage and digest

6/13  Advertise budget

6/17 APS Board meeting with final approval of millage

6/20 Advertise budget

6/27  Final adoption of budget

Burbridge:  We need to start the clock running with the approval of millage items.  June 6th is the official hearing as a result of the notice in tomorrow’s paper.  Board would be in a position then to tenatively adopt the budget. Once budget is adopted we must advertise for 2 consecutive wks. Once advertised we can take final action on 6/27 and new fiscal year begins 7/1.

McDaniel says that there will be resolutions because of the millage rate.

Butler-Burks: There are several pieces of information members have asked for over the past couple of weeks.  I’ll give the 4 items I have.  The first is the information around class size. The second is we submitted 4 questions and we will review those responses.  Additional questions around furlough days and there are additional questions around talking points.  So we can start with class size.  We want to thank Mr. Burbridge and his team for putting together comprehensive documents around class size.  One of the questions was what would the cost look like if we kept K-3 the same in terms of class sizes and 4-12 was a plus to to the state maximum.

Steve Smith: Mr. Burbridge and his team are ready to respond.

Burbridge: For difference in cost I’m going to use this summary sheet that says class size by dollar.  That change (high schools) is worth 800k.  Middle schools we would go from plus 5 column to plus 2 column so that is $1.8M.  Then I’m going to pick up grades 4 and 5.  5th grade I will pick that up as the difference between 11M and 9.6M which is 1.4M.  4th grade is the line above that and we can call that 900k.  The sum of that is $4.9M for the +2 scenario.

Class Size (By Dollars)
Class Size (By Dollars)

Kinnane: Where is the cost differential for keeping it as is.  Where is that increase?

Burbridge:  I do not have a current by school, by grade of the budgeting for staff with me. I know how the budget was developed but an individual school may have different resources than what was budgeted.  I have not done the run that pluses up the budget by individual schools and grades.

Meister: We don’t know what that difference is….it probably would be less.

Burbridge: It has to be budget plus, there is no real net.

Burks: Maybe some of the information presented has not been clear.  It is my understanding that the most recent budget we received factored in class sizes being where they ended the last day of school.

Burbridge:  There are sufficient resources in the FY14 proposed budget to maintain all the teachers that are currently on payroll, but I don’t know if you would need more teachers at a high school…I don’t know where those teachers are.

Burks: From what I’m understanding what we’re looking at now as we look at these numbers would be, for instance if we said MS at +3 at $1.1M, its taking us down from where we are now…

Burbridge: Yes

English: What is the plan for the gap this would create?

Smith: We would lean on the resources we have to fill or close that gap.

English: I want to stay on the policy making level but at the same time, sometimes we find out on the back end that there are some adverse actions that are not in line with what the board thought would happen.  If we go with x scenario and it creates an additional 4.9M gap…I just don’t want to be back here in August asking “what happened.”

Smith: If given a directive by the board we would have to follow that.

Burbridge: Looking at the options, one would be fund balance.  Two would be furlough days, that’s 1.5M per furlough day.  Third place you check is what programs would be looked at for offsetting reductions and there probably not many programs to be looked at…we exclude the classrooms, the schoolhouse in general. We’ve talked about busing, bus policies and things like that but you’re in a very small universe of the budget to squeeze another 5M out of.  If you put it in the context of vacancy management you are talking about another 5% reduction.

Larry Hoskins: I want to make the BOE aware of this potential situation as you contemplate class sizes.  There may be situations in the district where if we cap the 4th and 5th classes at something lower than +5, especially at schools like Brandon & Smith where we already have capacity issues…if that drives us into more space then we will have to contemplate modular buildings and other ideas to meet class sizes.  I just want to put that on the table in context with what Mr. English said.  That is  a real risk….Inman, Springdale Park.

Burks: We certainly appreciate that and I think probably what could help with that if we’re saying keep it the same we would be where we are now.  Unfortunately we haven’t been able to get what “the same” is.  We’re trying to figure out the impact of starting from where you are, or the same and….it’s kind of hard to figure out where we really are vs what a +2 or +3 would do.

Hoskins: We won’t know until kids show up in the fall what the actual splits are. We would minimize the risk if we kept it where it is, as opposed to +2 or +3.

Kinnane: I appreciate what you’re saying Mr. Hoskins, however facilities should not be driving what we feel is good instructional decisions.  Hopefully we can give principal’s some creative decision-making about classroom sizes.  I don’t mean to doubt what you’re saying whatsoever but we are about instruction.

Hoskins: I’m not saying that facilities should drive the decision but I want you to be aware.

Burks: So we have the answers to that and the answer for middle school.

Meister: I think I know the answer to this question, and I know this is extremely difficult and the most important thing is our teachers and our students and I brought up  this to the superintendent and was given a quick no and was told it would have to come from reserves, but I hope that you have looked really deeply in all positions in the central office to make sure we can get it to a more manageable point.  Our teachers are being so strained.  Was the effort really made to look deeply?

Smith:  Yes, the effort was made and fortunately in this case your response is in line with our thoughts that our teachers and students come first.  What you have in front of you is, by far, according to everything we know at this point a very honest budget.  It is one that is straight forward.  Our team has worked diligently to find those cuts.

Meister: In looking at these numbers it looks like in C&I, because of a re-org, we increase by a million dollars….

Smith: We would be happy to respond to specific questions where it may appear that way.  But again, our efforts in combing thru and making the cuts where we made them, we feel very confident that what is in front of you reflects the type of diligence that will get the commission to the point of accepting a budget.

Burks:  What may help…we’re trying to figure out what to do…the piece we haven’t heard is where are we struggling the most academically and where do we feel a smaller class size would help us in terms of a smaller class size.

Smith: I will defer to Ms. Waldon about how we are addressing those needs and gaps.

Karen Waldon: We have gotten in some prelim data regarding student performance and what we see across the board is that the improvement is beginning.  Not nearly what we want to see but we believe we are moving in the right direction.

English: What scores?

Waldon: We’ve looked at writing, CRCT preliminary data…just on initial review we are beginning to see student achievement trend in the right direction in some areas.  When you look at best practices around (class size) its not the #1 factor impacting student achievement.  We do not feel class size is our biggest issue, it’s the actual teacher.  We believe we have structures in place with things such as EIP to support class size.

English: When you talk about quality of the classroom teacher, where is that reflected in the budget?  How are we recruiting, retaining?

Waldon: In terms of the budget, based on what we have to work with we try to make quality decisions.  (Waldon refers to changes in early learning and how 70% are Kinder ready but that leaves a significant population who are not). Without the resources we try to retain and recruit the best teachers into the district.

Smith: Granted, its been since the 90’s since I was a principal, but smaller class sizes was the trend from 80’s but the effective teacher is extremely critical in that process.  I can tell you that even when a classroom is smaller or at max, when you have an effective teacher in the classroom that individual is able to deal with disciplinary actions as they arise.  An effective teacher in front of 5 or 15 can deal with discipline.  It is a continual cycle.

Burks: If we saw a need to decrease classroom size, where would that be?  There have to be other strategies other than having an effective teacher in every classroom.  From an instructional pov, what would those grades be (most impacted by lower class size).

Kinnane: We have excellent teachers who are effective but they cannot do their job as well with too many kids in the classroom.

McDaniel: If we said we want to add 20 teachers to the current system, where would you put those teachers?

Waldon: There are a lot of factors that would have to be considered.  We have academic challenges pre-k thru 12.  It is hard for me to say reduce here but allow this level to go up.  One way to approach it would be to look at current state, looking at students who are poised to exit the district and that may be a point of focus.  Then you could look at the students entering…that may be a point of focus.  And I’ve been a middle school principal as well…  In terms of a blanket place, it is a challenge for me to answer that.

McDaniel: If I said here are 20 teachers, is 20 enough teachers to make a difference.

Waldon: Every teacher could make a difference somewhere, but its hard to say.  Possibly at the middle school level?   I know that’s not the answer you are looking for, but there are challenges across the board.

McDaniel: I know there are academic challenges but some are not affected by class size.  How many more teachers would we need…

Waldon: If we could keep every classroom at the state max, that would be a start, but with budget constraints I don’t think that can happen.

Burbridge: Say we had a target and we know 1.5M is available per furlough day, where might be an effective way to use that.  If you went to +2 at 4th grade and +6th grade level, that would represent about 1.4M.  You could target those two transitional years.  Is that kind of where you are trying to drive towards?

McDaniel: To me it’s not necessarily waiver number.  My question was, if we had a furlough day worth of teachers or a fund balance worth of teachers, where we would prioritize teachers.  It doesn’t have to be a blanket answer.

Burbridge:  That proposal (from earlier) would put approx 6 teachers in middle schools and at 4th grade I’m looking at another 12 teachers.  I don’t know which schools would benefit.  Would you then stop there or do you say principals you can move them somewhere else?

McDaniel: To the extent we have those types of answers we can say with 1.5M of reserves this is what I can buy.

Burks: So do we want to talk about 4th and 6th?  I’ve also heard 5th and 8th…

Waldon: Can we take a moment to look at our data…I would want to take a look at those grade levels.

Burks: Does everyone understand that that prolongs the decision we need to make?

McDaniel: Are we talking about an hour or 5 days from now?

Waldon: Perhaps an hour, but if not tomorrow.

McDaniel suggests the idea of figuring out how to save the money and figuring out at a later date how to apply the teachers.

Mr. English asks where the services that actually support students in the classroom are in the budget. He notes that when he was teaching 7th grade boys, that 2 children less in the classroom would not have made as much of a difference as services that helped the student to come up to the appropriate grade level.  He speaks about students who are hungry, heads of household and struggling academically.

Waldon speaks to the numerous partnerships and school support members at every APS school.  “The piece that is probably not showing up in the budget process is how do we create quality support structures for students.”

Waldon: There are students for whom we implement tier 1 strategies, then there are others who need more intensive support.  We will never have the resources in terms of money that we would like to have.  The question becomes how do we position ourselves to access those resources if they are not in a general fund budget.

English: I appreciate that.  It’s the same question I ask all the time, “what are we buying.”  If we are going to have these conversations let’s make it 5 to 10 year decisions that will drive student achievement.

Waldon: Sustainability is always the concern.

Muhammad:  Early on, someone talked about have we looked at the administration and budget.  I have a specific question there with regard to the concern that there is some duplication of work or assignments or funding in that area.  I want to ask one specifically.  I happened to look at some materials and one identified an Asst. Supt. for Teaching and Learning and another for Executive Director for curriculum and instruction, are those the same person?

Waldon explains that the Asst. Supt. for Teaching & Learning  serves in the supervisory role and the E.D. is funded by the GE Foundation and focuses on Common Core.

Conversation has turned to the measurement/formula used to staff EIP teachers.  Ms. Waldon explains that some schools have more EIP teachers than they need.  In those cases the district is working to rectify those issues.  No schools, she says, are understaffed with EIP teachers.

Ms. Kinnane asks about increase in Fine Arts and P.E. budget.  Burbridge explains that in the past, those teachers were lumped in with core instructors, now they are not.  It is not so much an increase, but simply a different way of budgeting for those instructors.

Mr. Amos asks about the teachers leaving the recently closed Parks Middle School.  Human Resources explains that those teachers have all been reassigned for the next school year. No teachers were let go via a reduction in force (RIF).

5:00pm

Board is now discussing whether they want to wait for additional information from Curriculum & Instruction before moving forward.

Board discusses whether or not this budget addresses the goals of the current 5 year strategic plan.

McDaniel: Mr. Burbridge, on the current fund balance projected in this budget, what is the difference between that number and the 7% industry standard #?

Burbridge: $8M, approximately

McDaniel: How many teachers does 2M buy us?

Burbridge: About 26.  We use about 13 teachers per million.

McDaniel:  From my perspective, we talk about fund balance but the other places we know are furlough days and there is the opportunity for us to push for some incremental reduction in the high end of the organization.  I think that from a budget perspective we have some risks and I don’t suggest we spend down all $8M in the reserve.  I am also not in favor of an additional furlough day for anyone below an assistant principal level.

McDaniel puts several suggestions on the table to get to $2M.

Burks: Mr. English made mention of additional para-professionals, you probably could get more para’s than teachers…they are about half the price.  We could consider a cross between para’s and teachers.  Are we all in agreement with Mr. McDaniel’s suggestion?  Are we all okay with 2M?

McDaniel: 1.5M out of reserve and another .5 from perhaps furloughs for those above assistant principals and other areas.

Burks: I needed clarity around the furlough days.  I thought the 196 was principals and below…

Burbridge: We actually tried to calculate furlough days outside of the schoolhouse.  The 196 would not include custodial personnel, principals, AP’s or anyone else who keeps the school house operating.

McDaniel: My thought was not so much schoolhouse vs non-schoolhouse, because there are those in this building (CLL Downtown) making $30K or below who would be hurt by a furlough day.  It was more of a salary level.

Burks: I agree we need to talk about assistants in the building and what that means to them.

YJohnson: Is it my understanding that today we will have a recommendation from the commission to the board based on…

McDaniel:  we will receive a budget from the budget commission, we will not approve a budget today.  We will then have the public meetings.  Basically this is what would be posted on the website and we would drive a tenative budget.

YJohnson: So are we getting to the point where we are comfortable?

Burks: Yes, and I think we will be even more comfortable when we go through these four questions.

Meister:  I wanted to state for the record where I stand.  I really would like to have seen a deeper dig from the central administration.

McDaniel explains to board that if you take the 8.6M off the table from the sale of the AIS property, that there is some risk.

Meister: We need to discuss the sale of real estate separate from the budget.  I feel like we’re being forced to co-mingle when these should be two separate decisions.

Board is moving on to questions from previous meetings:

Atlanta Board of Education

Responses to Questions from the May 20th Budget Commission Meeting

QUESTION

RESPONSE

1.

Does the proposed budget include layoffs of any teachers, including Pre-K teachers? There are no planned layoffs for FY14.  We will continue to work with the state regarding our Pre-K program.  Through the State’s guidance, additional assessment and evaluation of teacher qualifications may take place to ensure compliance with state guidelines.

2.

Does the proposed budget include any salary increases for any staff? The proposed budget does not include any increase in salaries for FY14.

3.

Does the proposed budget include any newly created positions? (at least four positions have been mentioned in various meetings) There are no newly created positions planned for the FY14 budget.  The four positions referred to earlier are positions that will be recommended for reclassification.

4.

Does the proposed budget include written documentation of the additional $2.52M cuts in C&I? Curriculum and Instruction ($2.52 million):

  • Program 1506—Professional Development.  $665 thousand (funds are available from other sources)
  • Program 1610—Deputy Superintendent of Instruction. $70 thousand (eliminate funds established to repurpose Cook site)
  • Program 1627—Forest Hill Academy.  $248 thousand (funds are available from other sources)
  • Program 1218—Other Entities. $17 thousand (funds are available from other sources) Funds reserved to support schools throughout the year
  • Program 1203—Substitutes. $1 million (enhanced tools will allow tighter control of this cost)
  • Program 1231 – Administrative Services/External Programs. $236,416 (proposed reclassification of 2 positions into federal programs)
  • Program 1614 – Administrative Services. $282,385 (proposed reclassification of 1 position into federal programs and proposed abolishment of 2 positions)

Pre-K Q&A

Ms. Burks expresses concern over meeting held with pre-K teachers and information given to those with Bachelors degrees saying that they would have to reapply for their jobs.

Waldon: We are trying to align APS’ program with what is expected from Bright from the Start.  We don’t believe we need to move away from our plan and we are having conversations around transitioning.  We want all of our classrooms to be aligned with those around the state where teachers must have a Bachelors degree.  This is a juncture where we believe we can make those significant improvements.  There are individuals who have been in the system for years and they have not moved forward with getting the degree they need.  The state grandfathered in, but the state has indicated that some of our classrooms may be on probation next year.  We do not want to see that happen.

Linda Anderson, C&I: We did have 2 meetings with our pre-K teachers and explained that we were out of compliance in some our classes.  Teachers are asked to have a Bachelors degree.  We shared that information and that we need to correct compliance issues.  After the meeting, we had some teachers who came to us  We had a 2nd meeting and explained that we do want to move forward with the teachers and assistants to have the appropriate degrees.  We want the students to leave the classroom kindergarten ready.  We did share with them at that time that we will be coming back to them and what that plan will look like in the future.  We are going to have to correct where we are and their proper credentialing.  In terms of their feeling today that they will not have a position, we have not shared that they will not have a position next year.

Waldon says we have 25 lead teachers who meet the state credentialing, 16 who do not.   Says that it isn’t wise to compromise the pre-k program.

Burks: I don’t think anyone is asking us to compromise anything.  I just think there is a way to do it.  “Grow before you go.” (Burks speaks about giving our pre-k teachers an opportunity to enhance their skills).

Burks confirms that there are no expected teacher layoffs in the proposed budget.

Salary Increases Q&A

Burks: Are we expecting any grade/step changes for incumbents in June that would affect FY14?

Smith:  There are not any known increases in ’13 that would impact ’14.

English: Including HR?

Smith: Project Thrive? Yes, that includes Thrive.

Burks: The project Thrive we approved is reflected in this budget?

Kinanne:  What may have been someone serving in one capacity may

Smith: If individuals are sitting in one position and are promoted to another position, yes, that would be a normal course of an individual who might receive a promotion of some sort.

Kinnane: That would raise a concern.  If those are promotions and salary raises but we are being told there are no salary raises…  If we’re not having salary raises for teachers then no one should be getting salary raises.  If we’re saying we’re not doing that then no one better be getting that.

Burks: Playing with titles for people to get salary raises.

McDaniel: IF a person is taking an existing position they could not get the higher salary?

English: Even in the hypothetical, how do we do give that person a raise and not give a teacher a step.

McDaniel:  If a person competes for a position and gets selected are we saying they shouldn’t get additional money?

Burks: We’re saying don’t reclassify the position for the person to get additional money.  What we have seen a lot this school year is the reclassification of a position so that the person gets more money.

Meister:  I’ve heard that teachers who have gotten their masters are not getting an increase. (Burbridge says that all teachers should be receiving an increase when they obtain a higher degree).

Smith:  May I make a comment based on what I heard and saw based on facial expressions.  There is no sinister plan to pass a budget and reclassify positions to allow individuals to get an increase in pay.  I wanted to at least respond to that.

Newly Created Positions Q&A:

Burks: We have heard of at least 4 positions….if we know of any during the budget process let us know of them at this time.  We’ve even heard the names of people who would be in some positions.  That is why there is a level of discomfort.  That’s troubling.

Amos:  I was stopped during graduation week and the topic of our parent liaisons came up and I was told we are going from degree-preferred to masters degree required.

Waldon: That is not true.

Burks: I would say we should see a list of any recommended re-classifications and a justification along with financial impact before any budget is passed.

Muhammad:  If there are people that are in administration, and we do have several new people in administration, and we are talking about no increases or re-classifications moving forward, does that impact any of those individuals who came on in the new administration?  Are they exempt or are they are a part of this as well?

Burks: Does this relate to reclass?

Muhammad: Yes, or commitments that were made to individuals.

Smith: We certainly can include that with any research we are doing.

Muhammad: If a commitment has been made to someone are we rescinding that commitment?

Additional C&I Cuts Q&A:

Waldon presents to BOE.

Waldon: When you look at the C&I structure/org chart, long term I’m not sure how we will support some of the work we need to do.  Right now 50% of the positions budgeted centrally still go out to support schools but are based on soft dollars, 50% of our staff are funded with special revenue (Race to the Top, Title, etc).

Kinnane: Knowing that times are lean, looking at the central office and they may be funded by soft dollars but we have a large number of people working at the central office, was there a look at additional people supporting the classroom and if there could be any shifts that way.

Waldon: There could potentially be some shifts.  When we look at districts like Houston, Charlotte, Denver we are in line with the kind of work we have to do.  One of the things we’ve been addressing for anumber of months are  many issues surrounding compliance.  That can’t be done at the schoolhouse.  In a couple of years, a number of positions that are here, no longer are here.  That’s one example of a scenario within C&I (support given to schools for Common Core with positions funded by Race to the Top).

McDaniel: What would really help everyone, is to challenge us to think about who really needs to be here.

Smith:  We absolutely will continue to do that and take an even harder look.  We talked about functional requirements and continue to ask those tough and necessary questions.

-END OF Q&A-

Burks:  What we’ve talked about is that we will start with our class sizes where we ended this year and look for an additional $2M to increase our teachers/paraprofessionals with a max of 1.5M coming from fund balance and ..5M coming from furloughs or central office cuts. No newly created positions outside of teachers, we would be presented with any new re-classifications prior to any final budget, we are looking at 3 furlough days and possibly more.  Bell schedule will change. Increase in presence of security and officers.  We will make a recommendation to our policy committee to look at a policy around any budget changes over 2% would have to come back before the board before it is done.  We started to see a lot of re-classifications and moving of positions so we are going to be looking for a policy to be implemented for this policy based on classifications.

English: What would be the big budget takeaway around the millage piece?

McDaniel: Each time we sell real-estate or potential transaction, that transaction has to come before the board.

Meister:  Where did we come up with the $8.5 if we’ve thrown other properties into it.

McDaniel:  Originally it was 6M based on AIS sale, they then went back and said lets look at all inventory and access what it is all worth.  That’s when they came up with the 8.5M number.

Kinnane: So leaving some amount in there for property sales, we’re not saying we’re approving the sale of AIS.

McDaniel: We’re not approving any sale.  If we deny them all, we will be 8.5M short.

Meister:  Do we as a board think its realistic to market and close and do everything with these properties?

Burbridge:  Can we identify and sell properties to bring resources in by June 20 2014, I don’t see that being an impossibility…a challenge…but not impossible.

McDaniel: We are not starting from zero in the process (sale of the property).

English:  Just for me, the second piece is a broad strategy question.  If we had a tagline around how this budget will improve student achievement, what would that be?  That is the most important work. What does this represent in terms of our ability to drive student achievement.  I know we’re doing stuff, so that is still a major point of discomfort for me.

Burks: I’m hoping that before we get to the final budget we will have that answer.  Maybe we can put talking points together based on departments/buckets.

English: Just because it is so important and I don’t want to send mixed signals, I’m ready to support the budget.

Smith:  My understanding is that you’re receiving…

Burks:  At this point we are up against a June 27th timeline and we still have time between now and the adoption of a tentative budget and we have to have a public hearing.  We still have time to be provided more information that outlines this information.

McDaniel: We have a strategic plan, balanced scorecard, superintendents scorecard and this budget drives the results we want to see on that scorecard.  I would like to see a presentation that brings those items to life.  How does this budget drive us to those balanced scorecard….

Muhammad:  I understand we have a balanced scorecard, but I think it is important that we say what we are requesting as a board.  If we want to see graduation rates increase or test scores increase in some particular area…I just hope this board can be clear about what it wants to see.

Burks: I agree.  I’m going to ask our board chair to work with Mr. Amos, our accountability chair, on that.

Smith:  I want to be sure that we have the same set of talking points that you have recorded.  There are a range of 8 to 10 or 11 over the last half hour.

Burks: Yes

MOTION

Burks makes motion to move budget forward with items earlier raised. Motion passes. Meeting adjourned.

LEGISLATIVE MEETING now beginning.

McDaniel: We will adjust the agenda to show us receiving the recommendation + resolutions.

There will be public comment from one community member.

Speaker represents the Jackson High School cluster and SEACS and says that the BOE has missed an opportunity to make bigger systemic changes this year.  Suggests a school based budgeting process in the future.

McDaniel:  Ms. Burks…

Burks: I would ask that the board receive what was voted on out of the budget commission meeting.

Kinnane: Ms. Burks would you  mind reading the item again about what we are receiving?

Burks: The class size for the next school year would start where they ended this past school year at a maximum.  There would be an additional 2M to fund additional teachers/para’s.  1.5M of that could come from fund balance.  A minimum of 500k would come from looking inside of central office and additional furlough days based on salaries.

McDaniel: We will receive this budget as a board which will allow us to post it on the website and hold public meetings.

Motion made

Muhammad;  Is there another opportunity for a budget commission meeting before the adoption?

Burks: There could be and we would have to be presented with a budget that includes all of these things.  It would have to be the beginning of next week before June 6.

Motion carries

REVISED AGENDA now includes

Resolutions for Action:
a.  Report No. 12/13-0114: Requesting a tax levy for the fy 2014 general fund budget (first read)
b.  Report No. 12/13-0115 Requesting a tax levy for the fy 2014 bond sinking fund (first read)

Motion carries.

7:06pm – Meeting adjourned

 

CALENDAR RE-CAP:

5/28 Send notice to paper advertising availability of budget for public review (will run in paper tomorrow).

5/29  Budget Commission Meeting and APS Board Meeting

6/3  Advertise millage and digest

6/4  Community meeting

6/5  Community meeting

Note:  BOE could decide to include an additional budget commission meeting prior to 6/6

6/6  Public hearing and APS Board meeting (tentative adoption of budget)

Note: Accountability commission is scheduled to meet during the 2nd week of June

6/10 Advertise millage and digest

6/13  Advertise budget

6/17 APS Board meeting with final approval of millage

6/20 Advertise budget

6/27  Final adoption of budget

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: