Should the state of Georgia increase spending on recycling programs, or require companies to use more sustainable consumer packaging?
That was the resolution at the Atlanta Urban Debate Elementary Tournament on Oct. 25 in the Atlanta Public Schools Coan Building.
The tournament featured 19 teams from 16 elementary schools from across the District. Each team prepared either a two-minute affirmation constructive argument or a two-minute negative constructive argument. Teams then had an opportunity to cross examine their opponents, asking any clarifying questions. The teams then closed the rounds with 2-minute rebuttals.
In the end, each school walked away with success, as the Atlanta Urban Debate awards the top team from each school if they have four or fewer teams competing and the top two teams if they have 5 or more teams competing. Congratulations to the following participating teams:
- BAMO – Laiyana Parlow, Serenity Woodruff, Kalen Tshinanga
- Boyd – Montavious Jones, Kitson Woodard, Dondravious Jordan
- Cascade – Aidan Hargrove, De’Aja Clark, Sa’Myia Canty
- Deerwood – Eliza Germany, Heaven Jordan, Sterling Holmes
- FL Stanton – Jeano Williams, Deandre Williams, Mercia Dossie
- Harper-Archer – Ethan Mitchell, Shamiya White, Tierra Page
- Heritage – Tre’Von Walker, D’aijiah Barber, Jaylon Little, Chloe Johnson
- Hutchinson – Cayden Woullard, Kennedi Daniels
- Kimberly – Ayrianna Sistrunk, Jakoby Garvin, Isaiah Rivers
- Main Street Academy – Daryn Ellison, Samantha Anderson, Anna Grace Arvin
- Main Street Academy – Jalen Hagans, Christian Carter, Dasaya White
- Mary Lin – Tealacy Woods, Leila Yalew, Sadie Terras
- Miles – Donnell Maddox, Ewon Parks, Mariah Shaw
- Parkside – Sophie Finnegan, Juliet Morris, Elliott Smith
- Parkside – Zachary Botz, Fletcher Howard, Henry Jones
- Peyton Forest – Chauncey Brooks, Alvin Sanders, Jaaleeh Welcome
- Sarah Smith – Elizabeth Harman, Emma Promoff, Sadie Thomas, Marisa Harper
- West Manor – Brooke Lewis, Brooklyn Cardiriche, Morgan Scruggs
- West Manor – Michael Hughley Jr., Patrick Fluellen, Daniel Gadsden
The Atlanta Urban Debate League began in 1985 in partnership with APS and Emory University with a mission to bring interscholastic debate and all of its related benefits to the diverse student populations of Atlanta.