Honoring excellence in our classrooms, schools and beyond! Atlanta Public Schools announced Jayla Bailey, a math teacher at Sylvan Hills Middle School, as the 2021-2022 District Excellence in Teaching Award Winner (also known as Teacher of the Year) at the annual APyeS! Awards Gala, held Nov. 12 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Atlanta. As the APS Excellence in Teaching Award Winner, Bailey will represent APS in the Georgia Teacher of the Year Awards next spring.
This year, the APyeS! Awards transformed into a gala, offering an unforgettable celebration for honorees from across the district! Honorees are chosen for their excellence in education, dedication in the classroom, and unwavering support of our students and schools. Singer, actor, philanthropist, and APS alum Q Parker served as co-host alongside Superintendent Dr. Lisa Herring during the awards ceremony. The event also honored the district’s top partners, GO Teams, Family Engagement stakeholders, and Excellence in Teaching honorees from each school. Performances included Parker and the Level 10 Live Band & Show.
Here are the 2021 – 2022 APyeS! Awards winners!
- Teacher of the Year: Jayla Bailey, Sylvan Hills Middle School (8th Grade Math)
- Principal of the Year: Forrestella Taylor, Finch Elementary School
- Assistant Principal of the Year: Gerald Johnson, Finch Elementary School
- School Counselor of the Year (Students First Award): Dorothy Anntionette Thompson, Finch Elementary School
- District Administrator of the Year (Schools First Award): Dr. Katika D. Lovett, Assistant Superintendent of Student Services
- GO Team Leader of the Year: Stacey Welsh Abbott, Principal, Garden Hills Elementary School
- GO Team of the Year: Maynard Jackson High School
- Family Engagement Award (Schools): Harper-Archer Elementary School
- Family Engagement Award (Parent): Terri J. Weekes, Beecher Hills Elementary School
- Family Engagement Award (Community Partner): United Way of Greater Atlanta
- District Partner of the Year: Mercedes-Benz USA
- Cluster Partners of the Year
- Goodr (Carver Cluster)
- Magnolia Chapter of the Links, Incorporated (Douglass)
- Passion City Church (Maynard Jackson)
- Wholistic Stress Control Institute (Mays)
- Intown Ace Hardware (Midtown)
- Everybody Wins! Atlanta (North Atlanta)
- Gas South (South Atlanta)
- United Parcel Service (Therrell)
- Raising Expectations (Washington)
The APS graduation rate is at an all time high, and this achievement can only be reached with team members who are committed to preparing every APS student for college, career, and life. The 2021 APyeS! Awards Gala honorees are just small example of the many APS team members who are working to improve outcomes for students.
To #JoinTeamAPS pease visit; https://apscareers.org!