Parkside Elementary School won first place in the inaugural Math League Competition! The competition was held at Bolton Academy on February 13, and there were 5 elementary schools that participated. The competition included a two-part segment; the first was a paper and pencil exam and the second was a round of Jeopardy style questions. The scores were tabulated from both segments to determine the overall winner. Parkside placed in all categories, which led them to bring home the championship trophy!
“I was thrilled to see the students eager and competitive about solving math problems, especially the boys,” says Cliff Corbett, Math Teacher at Parkside.
Parkside placed in the following categories:
- 3rd Grade Team Competition – 2nd Place
- 3rd Grade Written Exam – Winner
- 4th Grade Team Competition – 2nd Place
- 4th Grade Written Exam – Winner
- 5th Grade Team Competition 3rd Place
- 5th Grade Written Exam – Winner
- Winner of Math League Championship!
Parkside Math League Team:
- 3rd Grade – Yohanan Brown, Ella Garnes, Gabrielle Green, Kristina Holt, Jaylon Johnson, Jacob Robertson, Halen Toney
- 4th Grade – Maesa Anderson, Amaris Calhoun, Jalon Cook, Zauditu Haskins, Raveon Moore, Kayla Grant
- 5th Grade – Jacob Croskey, Nyssa Omolara, Nadiyah Shabazz, Logan Smith, Joie’ Weems
The Parkside Math League Team was organized by Cliff Corbett, EIP Math teacher, and the coaches for the team are Natalie Washington for 4th grade, Timothy Farmer for 3rd grade, and Cliff Corbett for 5th grade.
“It was great to see students across the district so excited about completing math problems,” says Natalie Washington, Math Teacher at Parkside.